Jul 8, 2014
I have several things I’ve been meaning to post here as updates, so here they are all in a row:
One of my favorite books of 2012 was The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danforth, so I was pretty ticked off to hear that it was recently removed from a Delaware high school summer reading list due to its “explicit language.” I wrote about the whole thing over at Diversity in YA, and I hope you’ll take a look. This is where censorship battles are fought these days: in summer reading lists, and over curse words. (No, I personally don’t buy the idea that the issue parents had with this book was limited to curse words.)
Some Nice Reviews
- NPR included Adaptation in its wonderfully inventive summer reading list, along with this very flattering pull quote: “Fast-paced and thoroughly engaging, with very effective stakes-raising and threat levels, this is a thrilling read.”
- Tor.com posted an even more flattering double review of both Adaptation and Inheritance, and while the post is a bit spoilery, if you don’t mind spoilers go here to read it. There’s nothing like reading a review where the reader clearly got what I meant to do — it’s an amazing feeling!
- This week I’m heading out to Wyoming to attend the Launch Pad Astronomy Workshop, which isn’t open to the public but I had to post about it anyway because it is so cool! It’s a week of astronomy classes for writers who want to use astronomy correctly in their fiction. And yes, I want to do this! I keep calling it Space Camp for Writers and while I doubt it’ll be anything like that classic 80s movie, I’m looking forward to learning a lot. I’ll blog about it when I return.
- Then from July 31-August 3 I will be at LeakyCon in Orlando! The full programming schedule hasn’t been posted yet but I’ve gotten a sneak peek at what I’ll be doing and I am soooo excited! Mainly because I’m gonna be reading horrible stuff I wrote when I was a teenager in public! I’m sure somebody will videotape it and then it’ll be on YouTube for all posterity, so don’t worry if you won’t be at the convention. I feel certain that my humiliation will somehow be recorded for the future.
- This fall I’ll be doing a few other events for which I don’t have the final schedules for, but I can tell you that I’ll be traveling to both Seattle and Tulsa, Oklahoma. And if you’re in the San Francisco Bay Area, I will be on a panel at SCBWI North & East Bay’s fall conference. Though I’m not currently listed on the website I promise I will be there.
Meanwhile, I hope you’re all having a great summer, and don’t forget to check out my post on the censoring of The Miseducation of Cameron Post. Thanks for reading, everyone.