Jan 2, 2013
Do you know of a 2013 YA book with LGBTQ main characters?
In June 2012 I ran a series of posts called YA Pride, highlighting 2012 young adult novels with LGBTQ main characters. In 2013, I’m going to do YA Pride again, which means I need your help in identifying books to be featured.
Here’s what I’m interested in:
- Young Adult books
- that will be published in 2013
- by traditional publishers (i.e., not self-published — I will do a separate call for self-published LGBTQ YA later)
- featuring a main character (not secondary or supporting) who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, or intersex
- or has a central plot about an issue related to LGBTQQI identity, e.g., a straight character coming to terms with someone close to them who is LGBTQ (such as Happy Families by Tanita S. Davis)
- or is nonfiction about LGBTQ issues (such as Queer: The Ultimate Guide for Teens by Kathy Belge and Mark Biesche).
If you know of a book that fits these requirements, please tell me about it in the comments. Ideally, I would like to know the book’s title, author, publisher, publication date, and whether the main character is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, or intersex. If the novel is about an issue, or if it’s a nonfiction book, I’d like to know those details as well. (I will be double checking all of this, but I’d love as much info as you can give me.)
Finally, if you’re the author or publicist, I would really appreciate it if you would leave me some contact information. If you’d prefer to not post that contact information publicly, you can email me at mlo at malindalo.com, and please use the subject: YA Pride 2013.
Thank you all for your input! I can’t wait to find out about all the LGBTQ YA books coming out this year.